Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Options for basement man cave flooring?

Tags
flooring
18K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  mykebob 
#1 ·
As part of a recent home renovation, I was able to wiggle in a man cave (more like man room, but at least it's something) in our unfinished basement. The contractor put up the studs, walls, lights, etc, so I've got a pretty good jump on things. The MC will pretty much be a bar, bar stools, table, chairs, and a TV with perhaps a few other small items. We had some new concrete poured into the area since the existing was pretty old, uneven, etc. Now I need to finish the flooring somehow.

What are some options for easy flooring finishes for a concrete floor? I read a few other posts and ran across these two items:

http://www.quikretecoatings.com/epoxyGarageFloorCoat.jsp
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=15

I'm also aware of the acid staining option as well, but that seems a bit difficult. Anyone tried the two above products or have any other advice?

First post here, thanks for any help.

#3 ·
I know people that have had luck with both the quickrete and the rustolium stuff. I think the biggest issue is getting the concrete floor very clean before you put it down, however in your case, it's new concrete, so it shouldn't be an issue. I'd still as a precaution do an acid bath to etch the concrete to give the paint a little extra bonding power to it.

Otherwise, the choices are carpet, astroturf, sawdust, hardwood flooring, etc.

#5 ·
Behr makes a great concrete paint that you can have tinted to any color you want. With this paint you will want to clean and etch the concrete before you start painting, and this is the most time consuming and laborious work involved. But, if done correctly will last forever! Here are some pics of when I did mine about 3 yrs ago, and I still get comments on how nice the tile looks in the garage...:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnnyferrell/PokerRoom?feat=directlink

The floor pics are all on the first page and start at pic 18...

#6 ·
x2 on the Behr paint. I used that system for my basement with the paint flecks similar to what you've got linked in the OP, it came out really nice. My floor was pretty dirty (50 year old basement floor) and I couldn't get it 100% clean before applying it, so I have a few spots that have chipped/flaked, but overall it has held up well, going on about 5 years of use (including a workshop application).

#9 ·
I just used the Behr 1 part epoxy, with a deep red color. Not suggesting the color, unless you want to put down a couple coats of grey first.

The two part epoxy systems are better, no doubt. A harder clearer finished look.. BUT if a basement unless you want crazy lighting, probably not needed.

I etched and power washed my floor, and dont think I needed it in a garage.. Doubt you would either.

#12 ·
Thanks for the Behr suggestion, looks like another good option! I was looking for more of a concrete finishing option than wood/tile finishing due to tiny chance of water (flooding in Georgia last september from the "storm of the century" brought some water in the area)

#13 ·
I even entertained the idea of concrete polishing/stain, all for about a nano second. The guy that came out for the estimate was pissed when I said, No Thanks, immediately following the price. He could have given me a ballpark over the phone and I would have told him not to waste his time coming out, but he insisted.

650sqft garage and he wanted $6000+ to polish and stain a simple design.

#15 ·
Question when applying something like the Behr stuff; how smooth does the concrete need to be? The concrete in the basement isn't 100% smooth, parts are smooth with other parts closer to something like a driveway. If it needs to be smooth, would something like leveling compound or thinset be the best to use?

#16 ·
I'd probably go with something like Delta Sub-Fl with carpet or laminate hardwood over top. It will help with the water, make the floor a little warmer under foot (though that's not so much an issue in Georgia probably) and just makes for a better finish when it comes to resale than straight concrete or carpet/wood over concrete.

#19 ·
Turns out the surface needed to be refinished if I wanted to stain the concrete and it was going to cost a pretty penny. I decided to put down porcelain tile instead. Laid down ditra in about 3/4 of the room last weekend. I should finish the other 1/4 tomorrow. Then it will be time to tile. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.