Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Need ideas for cheap, space saving man cave.

17K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum and i'm in need of some help. My wife just approved the idea for me to convert our garage into a man cave, on one condition:she has to be able to park her car in the garage in the winter. This is why im wanting to build a small, space saving man cave. My needs for the conversion are simple. I just want a small space where I can go after work to play video games, hang with my friends and catch up on my me time between work, a 6 year old, wife, etc etc.

Here's what i've been thinking so far:

1. Area rug/carpet so i can roll it up and put it in the attic when she needs to pull the car in.

2. Futon so I can fold it up and put it in the utility room or attic as well.

3. Wall mounted flat screen, it'll stay on the wall year round and won't matter to the car.

4. Ill move the ps3 to and from the garage to the house when the car comes in.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to save space? Inflatable furniture maybe? Im open to any and all suggestions/criticism/insight you guys have!

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have the DIY Network channel on your cable package? If so, check out Man Caves and Garage Mahal for some ideas.

Flooring: http://www.racedeck.com

Can you have like a workbench area to store stuff? Re-purpose some old furniture to hold your stuff? If you have the space for storage along the walls, I'd try to have some to hold your man cave items without toting them back and forth between the house (will get old eventually).

#7 ·
UPDATE!!! She gave me the whole man cave for forever, she decided the camaro can park in the driveway (i have the best wife ever btw).

I bought a new tv yesterday, futon and carpet. Surround sound is in the planning stages right now, going to split the cable and have it in the garage this week and also got a new ac in there to keep it cool.

I still have some space left (room is approx 12x20) all I have is a futon and tv so far so id like some ideas on extra activities (putting green, arcade basketball goal, etc etc)

#8 ·
Fortunately I have room so I don't have to convert my garage. However, I've never liked the term "man cave" anyways...It's beyond primitive to me.

I would never be able to use my garage for two reasons. I own too much stuff and winters here in the Midwest put the garage at around 35 degrees even with an insulated door.

A few years back I tore out all the drywall in the garage. I installed a sub-panel to carry new circuits for the garage as there was only one off the main panel. I installed OSB flooring in the attic above the garage space and insulated then hung new drywall and taped it.

Even with those changes the garage is still too cold to work in during the winter.

#12 ·
Thank you.

I certainly didn't mean to come across as abrasive. If that's how my comment was interpreted, I apologize.

I'm in the process of finishing my basement. I finished all the framing and small detail work last night. Next is electrical, insulation and finally drywall.

I have a space to call my own I suppose. I just gave a little over 25 square feet of it up for a bathroom which involved a days worth of work tearing up the floor and installing PVC where there was none. My son is happy about that. Now he won't have to travel far for a break. God forbid he lifts a finger to do anything.

The basement will ultimately become the place for his friends to hang out in and play their video games. It will be dark most of the time.....so we'll call it a "teen cave".

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.