Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

My (Detached From The House) Man Cave

19K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MisterShark 
#1 ·
My Man Cave...

I desperately needed two things:
-More storage for tools and seasonal crap
-A small place to be a man (cigars, poker, TV)

THE SHED
I was out of space in our house to do this (no basement, garage or extra room available). So, in September of last year I went to an Amish general store about 40 minutes from the house and asked them to build a 12 x 20 shed to my specs. They placed doors and windows where I wanted them and even went as far as matching the siding and roofing material of my house.

In October they delivered my shed completely built and placed it exactly on a spot I had leveled and ready with stone. This spot is accessible from my driveway and deck but it is not connected to the house. This makes it ideal for smoking, making noise and just plain getting away from it all.

BUILDING THE INTERIOR
After arrival, I built a wall down the center to divide storage from cave. Above the wall I made a loft opened up to the cave side so I could store cave crap.

My father-in-law ran the electric, I insulated the entire thing and all of my friends and I put beadboard up on all walls and ceilings with the help of many beers.

Believe it or not, my wife painted the entire interior (forest green walls/white ceiling) and laid tile for the floor (black & white)!

FILLING THE INTERIOR
On the storage side I have one wall of shelves to hold tools and crap. On another wall I hang lawn tools and on the third short wall I have a work bench. I also use this side for seasonal storage of summer stuff in the winter and vice versa.

On the cave side we installed a 32" flat screen with built in DVD, a ceiling fan/light, electric fireplace, kegerator, beer neon and personal memorabilia.

In its normal set up, there are 2 recliners facing the TV with side tables for cigars and drinks. There are a couple folding chairs for guests as well.

In poker mode, the recliners go to the storage side and folding chairs/poker table come down from the cave's loft to be set in the center of the room. The max in my room for poker is 8 seats.

THE OUTCOME
I use to hate the long winters being trapped inside, but now, this winter flew by with all the cigars I smoked, hockey I've watched and poker games I've hosted in the Cave! This is the best thing I've ever done.

Hell, the little money I invested in this has and will save me thousands. I don't go out to bars/restaurants/clubs as much as I use to. I don't need to...I got it all here! Even my friends agree. I'm glad I could do this for all of us. There's a lot more Man Time now!

I have to learn how to post pics so I can show you the Cave (and my custom chips from Guma when they arrive!). Just thought I'd share my Detached Cave story now. Thanks for the great forum! :thumb:

See less See more
#7 ·
... in September of last year I went to an Amish general store about 40 minutes from the house and asked them to build a 12 x 20 shed to my specs...

In October they delivered my shed completely built and placed it exactly on a spot I had leveled and ready with stone...
:eek: Whoa - how on earth did the Amish deliver something that big completely built? I'd love to see some pics of a huge ass horse-drawn carriage ponying up a 12x20 shed. :mrgreen:

Do you have any kind of ventilation system for the cigar smoke?

And yep, we DEFINITELY need to see some pics! Thanks for sharing.

#9 ·
IgotDANUTZ - Please don't revoke my mancard! I'm not even home to get access to photos for posting! Maybe by the weekend. I'll be receiving my custom chips from Guma too so I'll want to post pics of those.

Irish - I guess the Amish cheated or hired out. I guy with a large truck and flatbed trailer slowly drove it here. I assumed he was Amish. Didn't have the beard or suspenders though! No horse, sorry.

As far as cigar smoke goes, I have a few options depending on the weather and amount of smoke....two windows to open, small window fan if needed, vents on two walls that a ceiling fan can push towards and an air purifier. On cold cold days like recently (10-20 degrees), I just live with it. I plan on smelling like smoke.

#12 ·
:pics:

/me goes back to OT.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.