Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Got boneless rib eye roast - how to cook ...

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Doctor_XXX 
#1 ·
I've been doing Prime Rib for years (my Christmas thread from a few years ago, for example). I'm looking to change it up a bit, and considering using the convection oven feature of our new range.

I'm looking for "classic"--meaning not too fucked with--as opposed to impressive, like my stuffed Prime rib. I'm thinking just kosher salt and coarse pepper for seasoning, but I'm open to rub suggestions. I normally cook hot then reduce the temperature a bit, but understand a 'reverse sear' method works well, too.

How do you meat impresarios do boneless rib eye roast? Whatcha got?

I'll serve with both an au jus and a horseradish cream. Thanks for your ideas!

#3 · (Edited)
Only way I've ever done this is light brush of oil, kosher salt, coarse fresh ground black pepper.

Smoke with cherry wood until internal temp is what you're looking for. I've always been very happy with it.

Previous thread here.

Another thread here

Its a great cut of meat so it doesn't need much over the salt and pepper, but if you want to do it over the top and get a good crust on it, I'd do a wet rub with something like this:

olive oil
finely chopped garlic
chopped rosemary
kosher salt
course ground black pepper
Some other herbs possibly.

Slather that shit on there, and cook it. Lower temp is better than high heat on a roast.

Here's a really long article that you can get OCD in.

#6 ·
Yep. Simple. I trimmed most of the fat away, actually separated it into 3 pieces, then tied it together in as close to a cylinder as possible. Have it salted and drying in the fridge on a rack right now.

Tomorrow will bring it out for about 90 minutes to warm up a bit, will do the EVOO, more salt and pepper, then will cook in 200* oven until I hit 125* internal, then will rest for about a half hour, bring the oven up to 550, then blast it for 8 minutes.

We shall see!

#8 ·
Thanks for that link, JP, I was actually thinking of garlic powder in the rub. Somehow a little garlic seems OK for this.

I'm pretty set on trying the 'reverse sear' this time, will report back. I did get it trimmed, and drying in the fridge, but only for 24 hours, unfortunately. Better than nothing.

P.S. I am doing a red wine au jus that will have the veggies in it. Browning some shin bones and putting them in roaster with stock, veggies and an entire bottle of wine. Will reduce into a sauce.

#9 ·
I've done the reverse sear and it works... but it's a lot trickier to get right.

It's about getting the internal temp right and a good crust at the same time. If you turn up the heat too soon you run the risk of charing the outside by the time the roast hits 119 (or what ever you like) and if you turn it up too late you can end up with a crust that is too light and miss out developing flavor.

It works better with a larger roast (8-12 lbs.) because there is more time to adjust. A smaller roast will cook much quicker - obviously :)

I would suggest putting a electronic temp. probe in it to time how quickly its heating.

Let us know how it goes!

#10 · (Edited)
Shouldn't be that tricky, I have a probe thermometer for the roast, and I tied it nearly perfectly round.

Here are some in-process pics, will update this post later with more.

Shin bones after browning and the onion/carrot/celery/herbs, 1 bottle red wine, 1 quart stock reducing for the jus.

Roast after drying in the fridge overnight. Oiled, salted, peppered, and light dusting of garlic powder.

On the platter

On the plate ...

The vino. Had a bit too much of that, ouch.

The verdict?

Very happy with that method! Works well. The jus is sooooo tasty! A couple of tips...

1. Do try to trim the roast up as much as you can, then tie it as close to a cylindrical shape as you can get. This gets you more red meat, if it is not cylindrical you'll get more medium.

2. I should not have salted it a second time, the crust was a bit salty. You really pack it with salt when you put it in the fridge to dry, some of that dissolves and then the brine is drawn back into the meat. All I should have done on cooking day was pepper it.

3. Have a fan handy to blow on your smoke detector, the final burn will set it off.

The method with au jus recipe:

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

Perfect Prime Rib With Red Wine Jus | Serious Eats : Recipes

For you OCD folks like me ...

The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Prime Rib | Serious Eats

#12 ·
I did a prime rib again and tried the reverse sear method this time from the amazing ribs site. For the first time, I cut the ribs off and did them separately so I could try to get the roast more circular in shape. Once the strings were cut it returned to its prior shape.

Finished:

with some yorkshire pudding, tiropita, risotto, roasted brussel sprouts and potato... was amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.