tiki bar build- need suggestions - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 98,049,320
gps4 is a pretty cool catgps4 is a pretty cool cat
Default tiki bar build- need suggestions

so, i'm having to give up my 16x20 shop and newly fenced back yard for a newer house with a pool and 650 foot walkout basement. assuming i have all the requested repairs done on the old house, we are supposed to close on the sale of the old house and the purchase of the new house next friday.

the new house has a screened in back porch and a bare bones pergola out by the pool. you can see it in the background of this pic-

i suspect the current owners had a hot tub under the pergola at one time, as there is a wired junction box right behind the pergola. i cant tell what else the pergola would have been used for.

at any rate, i want to use the pergola frame as the foundation for a tiki bar, and will do all the work myself. i haven't measured it, but it appears to be 8'x8'.

Perhaps some of you would like to make design or material suggestions. I'm thinking a 12"-18" wide u-shaped bar top along the front and two side. Also, I kept a cast iron double basin sink from when we remodeled the current house 7 years ago. under the bartop along the front, I'm thinking a counter that will accommodate the old sink. water will be supplied by a water hose and have a simple pvc drain that will empty into a nearby flower bed.

before I build the bar top and counter, I will probably move the pergola over a bit so that the junction box is right next to one of the legs. that way, i can wire it for string lights and blenders, and perhaps a tv.

i will likely roof the top with 8' corrugated metal. without replacing the top joists, i suspect that rain will get to the bar top and maybe even the counter, so want to use materials that will withstand the elements.

so, what suggestions do you have? thanks in advance

Last edited by gps4; 04-18-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,047,977
big0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: tiki bar build- need suggestions

No suggestions but I just wanted to say great work on the photo! You used multiple exposures (almost positive) and got it all exposed well without turning it into some freaky, fantasy, HDR scene.

Oh, guess I do have a suggestion. Skip the bar and make it a BBQ station That's just what I'd do and I'm always in the minority so...
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 24,180,263,597,834
Oz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimps

How Tiki do you want to go? I have the shed I am converting to a covered tiki area as well - can't move mine. I just googled images to get a feel of what I was wanting. Lots of ideas through the images - just depends on what makes you feel good when you want to be out there.

Will the bar be covered? Will the cover be far enough past the bar to keep people dry? TV or sound built into the upper area? Smoker and BBQ along with the sink, definite must. Prep area for you to stuff next to the sink area - in addition to the bar for the drinking. What about lighting? What type do you want? Different for different tasks (cooking, prepping, playing games, or mood lighting that doesn't tell everyone you're out there playing under the table).

Nice looking place - good luck!

I plan on getting back to mine in the next month or so - installing the back area for the smoker and BBQ, bar and lighting.

"It is not our disability that is the problem, but rather it is the way our disabilities are viewed by others"

Old 04-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 10,050
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

My only thought is a cast iron double sink is awfully heavy for an application like that, why bother? Unless it's some kind of artifact you simply want to use. Why not get an inexpensive, lightweight sink from the big box home store?

Can't wait to see this take shape!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 AM
"B" Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
No suggestions but I just wanted to say great work on the photo! You used multiple exposures (almost positive) and got it all exposed well without turning it into some freaky, fantasy, HDR scene.

Oh, guess I do have a suggestion. Skip the bar and make it a BBQ station That's just what I'd do and I'm always in the minority so...
I have toyed with that idea quite a bit. maybe putting my grill cart along the back legs and a bar top/under county/sink/prep area along the front legs. my grill cart is about a foot wider than the width of the pergola. may have to center it just inside the back legs. If so, I thinking of walling up the back side so that the grill cart wont get rained on.

something along these lines---

Last edited by gps4; 04-19-2017 at 08:24 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 AM
"B" Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
My only thought is a cast iron double sink is awfully heavy for an application like that, why bother? Unless it's some kind of artifact you simply want to use. Why not get an inexpensive, lightweight sink from the big box home store?

you are probably right on overkill. by time we load all our furniture and junk, i may just get the local goodwill place come get the old sink along with the other stuff my spousal unit has decided needs to go.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,280,291,577
pauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimps

My only suggestion is to have tons of rum and a great blender for the breaking in party. My dad built a tiki bar for my mom's 50th b-day and had a big surprise party. I played bartender and went through 10-12 bottles of rum just making daiquiris and another 3 or 4 on punches.

He used a cheap thatch for the front of the bar and the roof and they didn't hold up well. T was just saying that he's in a bit of a design slump. He should be able to come up with a few ideas for signs, get his creative juices flowing again.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,047,977
big0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
That looks cool. I'm just not a big drinker so putting a bar in would never even cross my mind. Even if I built an actual Man Cave. I'd have a fridge, maybe even a full-sized fridge, and a sink, but a bar would be a waste.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 10,050
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

That's making me want to build a grill cover. Tired of cooking in the rain. That is sweet.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM
"B" Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post

As it turned out, i was tired of moving all my junk and let the goodwill folks haul off the cast iron sink so i would not have to fool with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out