Storage Shed - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 AM
"C" Cup

Chips: 21,657
wyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimps
Default Storage Shed

Wife and I are looking at possibly getting a storage shed in which to put the riding lawnmower, tools, etc. The HOA won't let us get a 'barn' type or metal sided shed. Looking online, I found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I was wondering if anyone has one of these, or knows someone who does. Looking at the .pdf instructions, it doesn't seem terribly hard to put together. I'm planning on pouring a slab and running electricity to it as well. Was wondering about the quality of the materials, specifically the siding. I went by the local Home Depot's, and they didn't have anything from this manufacturer on site.

I don't know if it is a good price or not, but it's a lot cheaper through the Home Depot website vs. the storage shed manufacturer's website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 24,991,457,418,426
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Quads Send a message via MSN to Quads
Default Re: Storage Shed

How well do you know carpentry? i.e.; framing walls and such?
I'm a fan of building myself, but I also would say my level of comfort is much higher in that I grew up framing houses and working in construction.

For a solution in a one stop box, they are great. I did some research a bit back on them and priced them, and found that I could build it for slightly less, and get a little more of what I wanted at the end of the day, but it required all of my time and planning.

On the other hand, a few clicks of different designs, plans, etc. and it shows up at your door a few days later, and you tilt the walls up and build it like an erector set. They take a lot of the brain work out of it.

Also look at Tuff Shed while you're at it.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
"C" Cup

wyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimps

I know enough carpentry to get myself in trouble - I've helped family or friends a day here/there framing and such. I'd wouldn't mind designing and build myself, but if the costs are close I have no problem taking the easier way out and putting together the erector set. I figure I can customize the inside as I want.

Will take a look at Tuff Shed too.

Thanks Quads.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 43,845
Blake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

find one of those "amish" places, they sell pretty well made sheds for a decent price. Most of my neighbors have them and like them well enough. They bring it in as finished walls and then just put it all together on your prepared site.

Though i will say I have looked at that shed you h ave posted in person at a store that had one builts out front. It's a nice shed. My step father is going to help me build one pretty similar for my yard.

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 24,991,457,418,426
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Quads Send a message via MSN to Quads

I'd hunt around and look at different plans. you can pretty easily put the cost to build together and better understand. There are several places online that offer plans for sale with costs and details outlined in them.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:36 PM
"C" Cup

Homeplace, the manufacturer, claims to be an amish firm. Although, all they do is drop off a palate at the curb. Supposedly they can't deliver anywhere on the property, which would suck b/c I have a pull off area off of the driveway that would work perfect to place it until I can put it together. I guess that would make me make sure I'm ready for it before I order.

Blake, you pouring a foundation, or just ordering one with a wood floor?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,729,657
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt880 View Post
Wife and I are looking at possibly getting a storage shed in which to put the riding lawnmower, tools, etc. The HOA won't let us get a 'barn' type or metal sided shed. Looking online, I found this:

<very nice shed here>
That's a great looking shed, but pretty huge. How big is your yard? Do you need one that big?

A few weeks ago I put together a plastic shed made by Lifetime Products (http://www.lifetime.com/lawn-garden/ click on Garden Sheds and 8' x 10'). I took construction pics, but haven't posted anything yet.

It's polyethylene and steel and seems pretty solid. They also have a 8' x 15' version of this one, plus several sizes in storage sheds. I'm not sure what the difference is between "Storage" sheds and "Garden" sheds, other than the nice-looking gable above the one side.

My shed has 2 sets of double doors, 3 windows, 2 nice skylights, and 4 or 5 mini-skylights. The roof is supported by steel trusses.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 80,516,271
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

if you have decent carpentry skills, I would recommend you design and build your own as quads was suggesting. I have done that and I got more building for less money and the satisfaction of showing my work off when it was done.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM
"B" Cup

Chips: 28,103
Benny Blades is a glorious beacon of lightBenny Blades is a glorious beacon of lightBenny Blades is a glorious beacon of light

I purchased a Tuff Shed last fall. I picked it out online from the type I wanted to the paint and trim. They come out and install...two hours later it's all up.

http://www.tuffshed.com/
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 43,845
Blake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant futureBlake has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt880 View Post
Blake, you pouring a foundation, or just ordering one with a wood floor?
I honestly havn't decided yet. I'd prefer to put it on a slab but it just depends on where I end up putting it in the yard. For now I'm leaning towards a wood floor so that the shed is still relatively "moveable" in case I need to change it's position as our plans for the backyard mature/change.

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out