Options for basement man cave flooring? - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM
"A" Cup

Chips: 27,045
kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Default Options for basement man cave flooring?

As part of a recent home renovation, I was able to wiggle in a man cave (more like man room, but at least it's something) in our unfinished basement. The contractor put up the studs, walls, lights, etc, so I've got a pretty good jump on things. The MC will pretty much be a bar, bar stools, table, chairs, and a TV with perhaps a few other small items. We had some new concrete poured into the area since the existing was pretty old, uneven, etc. Now I need to finish the flooring somehow.

What are some options for easy flooring finishes for a concrete floor? I read a few other posts and ran across these two items:

http://www.quikretecoatings.com/epox...eFloorCoat.jsp
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=15

I'm also aware of the acid staining option as well, but that seems a bit difficult. Anyone tried the two above products or have any other advice?

First post here, thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
"B" Cup

Chips: 28,043
mackel46 is a pretty cool catmackel46 is a pretty cool cat
Default Re: Options for basement man cave flooring?

engineered hardwood is a piece of cake to put down. check out the mohawk line. the flooring comes in 5ft planks 6 in. wide made with plywood bottom with real hardwood on top. you can do a 10 x 10 room in about 2 hours
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 24,991,457,418,580
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Quads Send a message via MSN to Quads

I know people that have had luck with both the quickrete and the rustolium stuff. I think the biggest issue is getting the concrete floor very clean before you put it down, however in your case, it's new concrete, so it shouldn't be an issue. I'd still as a precaution do an acid bath to etch the concrete to give the paint a little extra bonding power to it.

Otherwise, the choices are carpet, astroturf, sawdust, hardwood flooring, etc.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 26,785
SB has a spectacular aura about

Use a garage floor coating. The basement epoxy is the same price as the garage coat but is not as hardy. Make sure you buy a 2 part water based epoxy and do not etch new concrete. Just clean and apply the epoxy.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 AM
iFanBoy

Chips: 123,911,937
Guma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of light

Behr makes a great concrete paint that you can have tinted to any color you want. With this paint you will want to clean and etch the concrete before you start painting, and this is the most time consuming and laborious work involved. But, if done correctly will last forever! Here are some pics of when I did mine about 3 yrs ago, and I still get comments on how nice the tile looks in the garage...

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnnyfe...eat=directlink

The floor pics are all on the first page and start at pic 18...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 38,450,627
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

x2 on the Behr paint. I used that system for my basement with the paint flecks similar to what you've got linked in the OP, it came out really nice. My floor was pretty dirty (50 year old basement floor) and I couldn't get it 100% clean before applying it, so I have a few spots that have chipped/flaked, but overall it has held up well, going on about 5 years of use (including a workshop application).
Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Badministrator

Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

What kind of donkey plays J/8 to fill up on 5th street?
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_mUsLKQfWuZM/S8...0/IMG_3947.jpg

Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
iFanBoy

Chips: 123,911,937
Guma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of light

Ahhh just one of those superstitiously lucky donkey hands I like to play from time to time
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 26,898
Jbarrow has a spectacular aura about

I just used the Behr 1 part epoxy, with a deep red color. Not suggesting the color, unless you want to put down a couple coats of grey first.

The two part epoxy systems are better, no doubt. A harder clearer finished look.. BUT if a basement unless you want crazy lighting, probably not needed.

I etched and power washed my floor, and dont think I needed it in a garage.. Doubt you would either.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Badministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guma View Post
Ahhh just one of those superstitiously lucky donkey hands I like to play from time to time
I just really dig that frame and what you did with it.
Nice job. inspired me to do one of my own.
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Tags
flooring