Need ideas for cheap, space saving man cave. - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 27,721
traksta15 has a spectacular aura about
Default Need ideas for cheap, space saving man cave.

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum and i'm in need of some help. My wife just approved the idea for me to convert our garage into a man cave, on one condition:she has to be able to park her car in the garage in the winter. This is why im wanting to build a small, space saving man cave. My needs for the conversion are simple. I just want a small space where I can go after work to play video games, hang with my friends and catch up on my me time between work, a 6 year old, wife, etc etc.

Here's what i've been thinking so far:

1. Area rug/carpet so i can roll it up and put it in the attic when she needs to pull the car in.

2. Futon so I can fold it up and put it in the utility room or attic as well.

3. Wall mounted flat screen, it'll stay on the wall year round and won't matter to the car.

4. Ill move the ps3 to and from the garage to the house when the car comes in.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to save space? Inflatable furniture maybe? Im open to any and all suggestions/criticism/insight you guys have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 AM
"A" Cup

Chips: 27,900
kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need ideas for cheap, space saving man cave.

Do you have the DIY Network channel on your cable package? If so, check out Man Caves and Garage Mahal for some ideas.

Flooring: http://www.racedeck.com

Can you have like a workbench area to store stuff? Re-purpose some old furniture to hold your stuff? If you have the space for storage along the walls, I'd try to have some to hold your man cave items without toting them back and forth between the house (will get old eventually).
Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 112,785,146
MsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimps

Racedeck is a good idea. Durable product that looks great.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Training Bra

for the flooring, i have a roll of brand new carpet (free) so thats covered. Im just trying to figure out a viable way of having furniture in it without sacrificing space and something that is easily put away.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 24,970,726,598,616
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Quads Send a message via MSN to Quads

Lawn Furniture on wheels.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
"C" Cup

Chips: 20,374
UnkyPerv is a pretty cool catUnkyPerv is a pretty cool cat

Murphys Couch? Don't know if that exists and not sure if it did that it would be cheap...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Training Bra

UPDATE!!! She gave me the whole man cave for forever, she decided the camaro can park in the driveway (i have the best wife ever btw).

I bought a new tv yesterday, futon and carpet. Surround sound is in the planning stages right now, going to split the cable and have it in the garage this week and also got a new ac in there to keep it cool.

I still have some space left (room is approx 12x20) all I have is a futon and tv so far so id like some ideas on extra activities (putting green, arcade basketball goal, etc etc)
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 27,635
Phil has a spectacular aura about

Fortunately I have room so I don't have to convert my garage. However, I've never liked the term "man cave" anyways...It's beyond primitive to me.

I would never be able to use my garage for two reasons. I own too much stuff and winters here in the Midwest put the garage at around 35 degrees even with an insulated door.

A few years back I tore out all the drywall in the garage. I installed a sub-panel to carry new circuits for the garage as there was only one off the main panel. I installed OSB flooring in the attic above the garage space and insulated then hung new drywall and taped it.

Even with those changes the garage is still too cold to work in during the winter.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 540,223,012
Scuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
However, I've never liked the term "man cave" anyways...It's beyond primitive to me
So Why are you on this site ??
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 27,635
Phil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
So Why are you on this site ??
Because there might be a chance I'd see something I'd like and implement the idea in my own home.

I don't like the term "man cave" because it implies I need permission for things that I do. I don't have a "dominate" spouse so I pretty much do whatever I want. We share our living space and compromise when it comes to things we want if necessary. Maybe I'm just lucky to have a relationship like that...I don't know.

I say it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. It's worked for 15 years so far. She expects one of two things from me. 1) I'll buy more shit than I need... or 2) I'll do something incredibly stupid.

*edit*

Plus there was an old post regarding soffits in the basement. I saw how one person did them and remembered back to when I was doing them like that too... I posted photos of the ones I built which is more commonly used by builders.

I've taught myself just about all home construction techniques during the past 15 years of owning a home and the proper building codes.

I suppose there is really only one thing I need her permission for. A Paramount ME robotic mount and a Alluna Optics Ritchey Chretien telescope...with an observatory to put it in. I can't really go behind her back and spend $45k on a telescope. Those types of things require some discussion.

Last edited by Phil; 09-21-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave