Trann's Upstairs Reno - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Showcase - Before and After

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,938,629,782
Trann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Trann Send a message via MSN to Trann Send a message via Yahoo to Trann
Default Trann's Upstairs Reno

After my basement reno, I was given the task of taking on upgrading some of the rooms upstairs.

That was almost two years ago (the first year was a break to relax and enjoy the man cave; the second has been utter procrastination). To get myself in gear, I made myself a deal that when I finish the tasks, I'll allow myself to rebuild my poker tables and sell off the originals. Now I have a goal.

Since I've got a few things I'll be working on for a while -- painting, new flooring, etc. -- and they're really smaller jobs compared to a basement reno, I decided to put anything of interest in this one thread instead.

Patching the walls in the kids' rooms. The youngest has a number of dings but the eldest... well, this has to be seen.

The left wall had push-pins holding everything from posters to mini-sticks to pucks; the window wall had words and names scratched into the paint.

The right wall was another party of dings with a circle scratched into the paint. The kid still doesn't know why/what he was drawing at the time.

He wants a team colour on the wall but, annoyingly, Home Depot -- the official carrier of NHL colours -- is some 5 years out of synch with his favorite team's new colours. We've tried matching to paint chips but it's just too far off: home shades are so pastel and safe.

Instead, we've ordered the other half of his room's decor: a fathead logo to go on the wall. Once we get that, we'll do a colour match on that and go from there.

I did a mock up to ensure he was going to be happy with the results.

Spoiler:

Kids these days...

"Limit is like the girl next door, taking patience and time to win over, while No Limit is her sexier, sluttier sister that everyone wants to play with." - Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
aka, "Senior Mierda"

Chips: 6,899
IFIS is a splendid one to beholdIFIS is a splendid one to beholdIFIS is a splendid one to beholdIFIS is a splendid one to beholdIFIS is a splendid one to beholdIFIS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trann's Upstairs Reno

CAPS! CAPS! CAPS! until the playoffs, then we're one and done.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,839,766,930
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLOPPEDITSUCKER View Post
CAPS! CAPS! CAPS! until the playoffs, then we're one and done.
Yeah, it's almost like they need a regular season coach, and then a play off coach.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 100,006,807
Wedge Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW, wet sanding for the ...
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 540,238,192
Scuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with red....its gonna take a few coats

I already have a rule with wife & son
NOTHING gets tacked/nailed or attached to the walls without my approval
Wifey already put up some of that "non-stick" little adhesives & they were discoloring sons bedrooms walls AFTER I just redid the whole room
Prior to redoing his room she put up some of those "easy to remove adhesive" hooks to hang something up
When removed they peeled the paint off the trim
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,456,162
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of

C A P S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

I'd try to convince him to do an old school caps. Like they did for the winter classic. the stars could go all the way around the room with a capitals logo somewhere in the middle. Save yourself from all the red paint.

Spoiler:
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Team BCM

Chips: 70,265,587,196
Seven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trann View Post
the window wall had words and names scratched into the paint.
warrants an ass whippin'

How Color Psychology Plays a Role Color Selection 101:
Quote:
Bright, bold red has been associated with headaches and aggression.
No need to add to teen angst. IJS, YMMV.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,938,629,782
Trann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Trann Send a message via MSN to Trann Send a message via Yahoo to Trann

I know *I'm* already angst-ridden: working with red paint sucks. This may be my own fault/inexperience with bright colours and primer...

The walls in both rooms were primed with two coats and seemed good enough to go forward. I've put down three coats of red and the underlying base is still showing through: bright areas of primer on patched drywall contrasted against darker areas where blue previously existed. Compare that with the other room's single coat of beige/brown and it's apparent that two coats will be nice (three, if we really feel like it but probably unnecessary).

Research suggests red tint actually thins the base paint and makes it more translucent. Suggestions are also to either tint the paint red (which makes it pinkish and possibly less effective) or grey (better under-coat coverage and helps with darkening, as opposed to white primer).

Rather than continue with 6-8 coats of red (and not being sure it will end there), I think I'm going to reprime with a grey-tinted primer. I'll put down 2-3 coats until it's a perfectly even surface and then start with the red again. Based on how I've seen it go on a dark background (the less-than-perfectly primed blue wall), it should look good with a 2-3 coat coverage because the primer coat is even.

What a wasted weekend...

"Limit is like the girl next door, taking patience and time to win over, while No Limit is her sexier, sluttier sister that everyone wants to play with." - Me.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
"A" Cup

Chips: 43,596
getatjbrown has a spectacular aura about

I HATE red paint!!! I discourage every person that asks me!.... Good Luck
Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 540,238,192
Scuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to behold

What brand paint are you using ?
Hint: Behr sucks
We used a pinkish primer & probably 3-4 coats of Behr red

Primered:
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Showcase - Before and After