Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

The Mahi Mahi Room - build thread (image heavy)

12K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Simps 
#1 ·
Hi guys, been a while but I've been busy. Working two jobs, seven days a week for 18 months with very few days off has been hard but I wanted to fast track some of my renovations and with money tight it had to be done.

What should take anyone half handy a few months has taken me (so far) over six months and there's still plenty more to go. Most of the big stuff is done and now I'm onto the "top layers" and it's starting to take shape. I'm hoping to have most of it done for my 40th at the end of Feb 2013 so I've been in overdrive the last few weeks.

"The Mahi Mahi Room" - I've always loved the beach and tropical stuff so when I decided to build a play room for me it was the tiki themed bars that caught my attention. Whilst not being full-on tiki it will eventually blend tiki with man cave. I also plan on getting a replica Mahi Mahi and mounting it somewhere in the shed as a mascot, I always loved their colours, great eating and Mahi Mahi means "very strong" (or something close) in Hawaiian so a fitting choice for a blokes room

When I built my house I decided that it would be cheaper and allow me more space to build a slightly bigger shed rather than adding a dedicated rumpus or similar in the house. Also my mates have been known to get a little loose on the turps and things sometimes get messy - so keeping them outside is the goal.

The shed is 9m x 15m (whatever that works out to in feet) with the back 9m x 9m dedicated to the Mahi Mahi Room which leaves 6m x 9m for parking.

The pics:

Up she goes

The finished shed

Inside - the blank canvas

A few months later I finally got around to starting the process of insulating and lining the walls with 12mm plywood. I actually still haven't finished this but I'll do the remaining bits as they need to be done.

I'm using timber look vinyl planks seeing as I know someone who can get them cheap for me ;) They don't get glued down they stick together and "float" on the floor. Here they are http://www.armstrong-aust.com.au/resflrpac/en-au/Luxe-Plank-good.html

Two thirds done

Starting the frame for the bar

One of the bar top layers. There are three in total (12mm plywood) plus a "foundation" layer of 45mm x 240mm pine to secure it all. It's solid as - we had 5 blokes jump up and down on it at the same time to test it - it didn't look like budging

The front sheeted up. This will eventually be covered in woven bamboo ply and other stuff so it didn't need to be perfect. Luckily, that's my speciality :)

Starting the frame for the bar back

Starting to take shape

Yes, there's a hole, but that's been done for a reason. I won't spoil the surprise, that's a little way down the track yet

A few more months on and things have slowly moved along. A lot of time has been taken up with fiddly stuff that you can't really tell has been done, but it all adds up. Some carved posts and trims to give it a tiki feel. The canopy is also taking shape

Yes, I work messy :)

Staining started. Not the most enjoyable job, but it has to be done

And that's where I'm at. Plenty to go yet but it's starting to feel like a bar. I'm only a "C" woodworker so there's a lot of stuff that other guys could have knocked out much quicker and with better results, but it's mine, and with the exception of one or two little things I've managed to do it all myself (I didn't put up the shed) and I'm happy with it overall.

There's also a lot of stuff that's ready to go but I won't post up picks until I get a little further along. Money is still a little tight and there's plenty of stuff I'd love to be able to go out and buy but little by little it will all take shape

Cheers for looking

See less See more
#10 ·
Cheers guys. Yeah, Shadow the story is I ordered (to be delivered on site) construction stud, but forgot to tell them I didn't need it treated, they just assumed that's what I wanted. There is very little that will be exposed so it's not a problem. Those bits that will be exposed will be painted to blend in. That will help give it a bit of the rustic tiki bar feel, I hope :)

#14 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. It's been a lot of work but heaps of fun during the process. I've been busy over the holiday break and with a bit of help from my brother and father (even mum helped out with keeping us fed while we worked) I've managed to get it to the stage where I can enjoy it while I finish it off over the next several months.

Still plenty of work to go but at least it's at the stage where I can use it while I work

You can even walk out onto your very own private beach

Tiki masks guard the bar from evil spirits

Touch screen jukebox

Some essentials, but plenty of room for more. Still have to put the doors on the cabinet

The roof isn't finished but at least it's starting to feel like the real thing

I couldn't afford a real aquarium but this does the job and I never have to worry about cleaning it or the fish dying. I also plan on spending plenty of time watching the footy out here so a big screen tv is essential

So there we are, still plenty of work to go - run out of time before the end of last year to put in a basic sink, still have to finish behind the bar and the walls on the front half of the shed. The little tiki in the corner will soon have his own decorated area. Lots of patching up and trims yet to go on. The thatch roof needs some work. Plan on putting up a small shelf around the top of most of the walls and plenty more little things as I can get to them. I still need to figure out a way to get some more light behind the bar without ruining the mood as well. And of course, need to find plenty of "tiki" to go in and around the room. But that's all part of the fun of doing this sort of thing isn't it?

Cheers for looking

#21 ·
I'm trying to wrangle a trip with work up your mate, looks like nice place to crash for a night or three :)

Also been watching parts of this come together on Facebook.

Deadset jealous mate.

Great job.
:D

#23 ·
Cheers guys, anyone venturing down this way is more than welcome to stop by for a visit, just PM me should that ever end up on the radar.

Wedge - Brady Bunch? :D

Karpro - I'm using E-touch jukebox - the screen saver I picked up somewhere ages ago, I'll try and find the link if anyone is interested

Swanky - Drop by anytime, just make sure you bring the missus, I'm toying with the idea of a stripper pole and might need a test volunteer ;)

Inlver - Pay tv should be on before the start of the rugby league season here so there should always be a game of footy on the tube. Stop by and have a drink anytime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.